The Investigation Department is one of the Core departments in the Agency. It deals with the general investigation of crimes of Trafficking in Persons (TIP) in accordance with the Trafficking in Persons (Prohibition) Enforcement and Administration Act (TIPPEA) 2015. The Department has the powers of the Police except arms bearing.
Section 12 (1) of the Trafficking in Persons (Prohibition) Enforcement and Administration Act (TIPPEA) 2015, provides that the Department of Investigation shall: –
- Be responsible for the prevention and detection of offences under this Act;
- Collaborate with the Nigeria Immigration Service and other relevant law enforcement agencies in charge of entry and exit for the purpose of detecting offences under this Act;
- Investigate, trace and identify the proceeds, assets and properties of persons derived from acts which constitute an offence under this Act, and
- Effect the confiscation or forfeiture of such proceeds, asset or properties in collaboration with the Legal and Prosecution Department.
- The Investigation Department implements, enforce and administer the provisions of Trafficking in Persons (Control of Activities of Organizations and Centres) Regulations, 2019.
The Investigation Department is replicated in the Zonal Commands, States and Liaison Offices as Investigation Units.
STRUCTURE OF THE DEPARTMENT:
The Investigation Department is structured and divided into Ten (10) Units for optimal performance.
THE UNITS ARE:
- Principal Staff Officers Unit
- Monitoring and Evaluation Unit
- Asset and Financial Investigation Unit
- Cell Management and Coordination Unit
- Data and Forensic Investigation Unit
- Exhibit Keeping and Chain of Custody Unit
- Evidence Management and Legal Desk
- Central Crime Registry Unit
- Investigation Enquiry Unit
- Central Case Registration Unit
In line with the mandate of the Investigation Department, perpetrators of Trafficking in Persons are arrested and the victims of the crimes rescued. In addition, cases not within the purview of the Agency are referred to other relevant sister law enforcement agencies.
ACTIVITIES UNDER INVESTIGATION DEPARTMENT ARE AS FOLLOWS:
- General Investigation of Cases
- Asset and Financial Investigation (NIFU)
- Detention, Release and Cell Management
- Care and Management of Suspects
- Management, Maintenance and Care of Detention Facilities
- Conducting Investigation activities Nationwide
- Monitoring the Trends of Trafficking in Persons
MONITORING AND EVALUATION (M&E)
- General Administration of Officers and Men (Discipline & Welfare)
- Record Keeping
- Open-Source Investigation
- Case Management
- Exhibit Keeping and Chain of Custody
- Electronic Exhibit Keeping
METHODS OF INVESTIGATION
The Department employs various methods in carrying out its Investigation activities which includes but not limited to the followings:
- Proactive Investigation
- Reactive Investigation
- Disruptive Investigation
- Crime Scene Investigation
- Asset and Financial Investigation
- Forensic Investigation
The Department is headed by an experienced, vibrant and seasoned Investigator, Mr. Peter Simon Essien, who has led various Zonal Commands and regional Directorates in the Agency, his Contacts are:
Name: Peter Simon Essien
E-mails: firstname.lastname@example.org | email@example.com