NAPTIP is one of the agencies now under the supervision of the Federal Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs Disaster Management and Social Development.
The Act establishes a part-time Governing Board which consist of-
- A Board Chairman who shall be a person with knowledge and experience in matters related to counter-trafficking in persons.
- Two representatives of Civil Society Organizations involved in matters relating to trafficking in persons.
- A representative from each of the following Institutions or Agencies who shall be within the Directorate cadre-
- Federal Ministry of Federal Humanitarian Affairs Disaster Management and Social Development
- Federal Ministry of Women Affairs
- Federal Ministry of Labour and Productivity
- Nigeria Police Force
- National Intelligence Agency
- Nigeria Immigration Service
- National Planning Commission
- The Director-General, who is also the Chief Executive Officer and Chief Accounting Officer of the Agency shall be the Secretary to the Board.
The Agency performs its functions through Specialized and supporting Departments and, Units, Regional/Zonal Commands, liaison offices covering the geo-political zones of the country.
At present there are 9 Zonal Commands located in Lagos, Benin, Enugu, Uyo, Sokoto, Kano, Maiduguri, Osogbo and Makurdi.
The Agency also has 12 State Commands.
- Anambra State Command
- Bayelsa State Command
- Imo State Command
- Cross River State Command
- Plateau State Command
- Yobe State Command
- Gombe State Command
- River State Command
- Kaduna State Command
- Katsina State Command
- Kwara State Command
- Kebbi State Command
- Abia State Liaison Office
- Adamawa State Liaison Office
- Akure Liaison Office
- Ebonyi State Liaison Office
- Ekiti State Liaison Office
- Nassarawa state Liaison Office
- Oyo State Liaison Office
- Taraba State Liaison Office
The Headquarters in Abuja and All the Zonal Commands have transit shelters which were created to cater to the physical and psychological well-being of victims of trafficking.
- Investigation and Monitoring
- Legal and Prosecution.
- Counseling & Rehabilitation.
- Public Enlightenment.
- Research and Programmes Development
- Training and Manpower Development.
- Finance and Accounts.
- Violence Against Persons Prohibitions (VAPP)
- Information and Communication Technology
- Press and Public Relation
- Freedom of Information Unit
- Intelligence and International Cooperation
- Internal Audit
- Rapid Response Squad