VIOLENCE AGAINST PERSONS (PROHIBITION) VAPP DEPARTMENT DEPARTMENT
The National Agency for the Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons (NAPTIP) has mandated by the Federal Government of Nigeria to administer the provisions of the Violence Against Persons Prohibition (VAPP) Act 2015 in the Federal Capital Territory. VAPP recognizes Gender-Based Violence as a form of discrimination and recommends that states take measures to prevent and respond to violence against persons under Section 44 of the VAPP Act and to create a sexual offender register Section 1(4).
Sexual and Gender-Based Violence has suddenly taken an unimaginative proportion and dimension in the past exacerbated by the COVID-19 Pandemic, thus becoming a pandemic within a pandemic. Since the lockdown, NAPTIP has been overwhelmed with cases of SGBV due to its mandate of being the sole government agency responsible for the implementation of the Violence Against Persons Prohibition (VAPP) Act, 2015.
The main thrust of the law is to eliminate violence in private and public life, prohibit all forms of violence against persons to provide maximum protection and effective remedies for victims and punishment of offenders and other related matters.
NAPTIP being the body charged with the responsibility of administering the Act shall collaborate with relevant stakeholders and faith-based organizations.
Because of the value, responsibility and the need to perform optimally, the Sexual and Gender-Based Violence unit was upgraded to The Violence Against Persons Prohibition (VAPP) Department in June 2021 to cope with the high incidences of sexual violence in the F.C.T.
- The VAPP department shall be responsible for the investigation of all cases of violence against persons and related offences (Rape, Infliction of injury, intimidation, forceful ejection from home, spousal battery, emotional, verbal and psychological abuse, Abandonment of spouse and dependants, Incest, Indecent Exposure, stalking, offensive Conduct, harmful traditional practices, other forms of sexual and gender-based violence)
- Apply for protection orders in collaboration with the legal and prosecution department.
- Conduct Rescue, Arrest, and detention through the NRRS in collaboration with the Investigation and operations departments.
- Offer protection, counselling and rehabilitation services through its Sexual and Gender Based violence unit in collaboration with the Counselling and rehabilitation department
- Seek and receive information from any person, authority, corporation or company, without hindrance in respect of the enforcement of any of the provisions of the VAPP Act.
- Be part of case management teams and serve as prosecution witnesses in court.
- Coordinate the registration of service providers and protection officers as envisaged under the VAPP Act.
- Engage in Advocacy to stakeholders/donor agencies and coordinate the funding and implementation of projects relating to SGBV.
- Carry out sensitization activities on SGBV in collaboration with the Public enlightenment department.
- Manage data on SGBV and upload information to the Sex offenders register in collaboration with the ICT department.
The Department is headed by an experienced and seasoned investigator.
Name: Ijeoma Amugo
Phone No: 08120638454